-Ask thought provoking questions
-Reality check the parties understanding of a particular point or issues
-Use proven techniques such as visualization and display tools to help the individuals better understand the respective positions.
-Move the parties away from positions and move them towards focusing on interests
Our mediators are trained and highly experienced to be able to assist you to find the best possible outcome that is acceptable to you both. To do this they will use a number of tried and tested methods they will;
- Ask lots of questions and sometimes to play ‘Devil’s Advocate’.
- Encourage discussion regarding the options that are identified as potential solutions.
- Challenge the reality of proposed solutions. During the sessions you may hear the mediators ask…
– ‘ Ok so how will that work out in reality’
– ‘Can I just check, have you thought about how you will manage to collect the baby when you are at work at 6am’?
– ‘If you do give the house to x and the children, how will you afford somewhere else; where will you live’?
- Encourage the parties to work through each of the issues they have identified as being important to reach a solution that is practical and agreeable to both sides.
- Challenge the clients where necessary when they can only see their own perspective.
- Encourage even the smallest agreements and build on the positives especially when parties get stuck or feel they can’t see a way out.
- Manage emotional times. We encourage ‘time- out’ if things get heated or individuals are upset.